4/29 Lake Quinault to Cosmopolis, WA: 51.7 miles 846 ft

When we were in Port Townsend we met Fraiser from the U.K.. He was a social worker who quit his job and was on a trip of discovery to find himself. He was in the US for three months Wolfing for part of it and riding when is free. Wolfing I learned is working on an organic farm for room and board in exchange for labor. The most recent farm Fraiser worked on was for an organic farmer who had a farm in a forest. He did not plow the land and let the crops of fruit trees and lettuce grow naturally. He sold his crops to high end restaurants in Seattle.

Fraiser’ bike was rustic to say the least. He had a new Brooks saddle which was the best part of his bike. He stayed at a Warm Showers and the owners was a bike mechanic who spent three hours tuning his bike truing his tires, adjusting his cantilevered breaks, and aligning his dueraliers. The condition of his bike nor the 60 pound weight of his packs stopped Fraiser. The road was calling him beckoning to find himself in the miles that lay ahead.

There was little to find of ourselves during the ride today. It was much of the same uninspiring scenery of clear cut land, timber trucks roaring by, and rural houses showing the age of time and rain. It didn’t start raining until the last 5 miles and then in poured. We stopped at McDonalds for coffee and 2 for $2.50 chicken sandwiches to wait out the rain but after 30 minutes we realized the rain is here to stay.

We were headed to John and Marnie a Warm Showers host. Marnie texted us to say that she was cooking fried razor clams for dinner and wanted to know if we ate seafood. Poor Marnie! Asking if I eat seafood is like asking a bear if it likes huckleberry. I’m a seafood eating machine Marnie! Hope you cooked for 20 people.

Marnie, John and his son and his family had gone to the beach dug for the clams and claimed their catch of 15 clams each. They had their 105 limit in an hour and expertly shucked enough clams for dinner in 30 minutes. For a newbie both of these activities would have taken all day. Brian the son is the frier and when we arrived we smelled the smell of something frying in oil. John ushered us into the bike room an extension of the garage that was double in size. We peeled off our wet rain gear, hung our wet tent, and various other items to dry before sitting down to freshly harvested, shucked and fried razor clams.

Brian has three children and we enjoyed a lively dinner with the entire family. We learned about the five generations of the family that had lived in their house and Marnie who grew up on Lake Quinault in the house next to Quinault Lodge. It was such a nice evening learning about their family and traveling the inlets of WA state and British Columbia. It was difficult to leave in the morning after eating a clam breakfast burrito. It was comfortable at John and Marnie’s. Our departure delayed by two big downpours

Erika on a bridge into Aberdeen. Wooden planks for the walk way.
Family dinner at John and Marnie’s
Brian frying the razor clams
Fry Master Brian
Advertisement in a local magazine
Gear drying in the bike room
My breakfast razor clam burrito. Yum!
Marnie, John, and Erika
Marnie, John, and the seafood eater

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s